Lower back pain is a condition that causes pain in the muscles, bones and nerves of the back. The pain can be dull to severe and can last less than 6 weeks. Pain can be felt below the ribs and above the legs. Lifting, reaching and twisting can cause pain in the back.
Symptoms of lower back pain
- Pain when lifting, forward bending and twisting of the body
- Tenderness when touched
- Pain when raising the leg, sitting and standing
- Pain spreads down the leg or sciatica
- Herniated disc
- Sprain or strains on the lower back
- Increased weight during pregnancy
- Incorrect sleeping position
- Poor posture
- Poor physical condition
- Medical conditions such as endometriosis, ovarian cancer, ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids
- Take plenty of rest especially the affected area. Avoid activities that cause further irritations on the area. Perform gentle exercises such as walking or climbing stairs to stimulate proper flow of blood and loosen irritated nerves or spinal joints.
- Apply cold compress on the lower back for at least 10-15 minutes every hour to lessen the inflammation and the pain.
- Compress the lower back using cold therapy and use an elastic bandage to support it and to stop build up of inflammation.
- Apply moist heat on the area for at least 20 minutes to increase flow of blood and loosen tight muscles and other soft tissues. Put herbal bags inside the microwave for a couple of minute and then apply it directly on the lower back while lying or sitting down. Cover the bags in a towel to insulate it and retain heat before placing to the area.
- Prescribed over-the-counter pain medications to lessen the inflammations and the pain.
- Sleep in a fetal position with hips and knees bent and the supine position and legs placed in couple of pillows. These two positions of sleeping lessen pressure placed on the joint of the lower back and lessen the irritations and the pain.
- Perform rehabilitation exercises with the help of the physical therapist for strengthening and stretching exercise for the lower back to lessen the pain and restore range of movement of the affected area.